This easy, hearty curry can be made in minutes and is perfect for busy week day evenings. It contains tender chicken thigh fillets, red lentils and chopped tomatoes, but is brought together by a super tasty blend of spices. Serve with basmati rice and steamed veggies for a healthy family dinner packed full of protein and flavour.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
(see below for full list of ingredients)
- Chicken Thigh Fillets: I love chicken thigh fillets as they are succulent and more flavoursome than chicken breast.
- Peeled chopped tomatoes: The curry sauce is tomato based, so is a little healthier than those based on coconut milk.
- Red Lentils: Red lentils do not require as much time to cook as some other lentil varieties so they are ideal for this quick curry.
- Curry Powder, Garam Masala, Ground Ginger, Ground Fenugreek: This blend of spices brings a wonderful flavour to the dish and ties it all together.
How To Make Easy Chicken and Lentil Curry
Step 1: In a large pan heat 2 tbsp light olive oil on a medium-low heat. Fry 1 large finely chopped onion for 5 – 7 minutes until soft and translucent. I like to use a large wok with a lid for this.
Step 2: Add in 3 cloves minced garlic, 1.5 tbsp medium curry powder, 0.5 tsp garam masala, 0.5 tsp ground ginger and 2 tsp ground fenugreek, and cook for an additional 2 minutes stirring throughout.
Step 3: Add in 1 kg chicken thigh fillets, 100 g rinsed red lentils, 400 g peeled chopped tomatoes and 200ml water and stir well. Turn up the heat a little to bring it all to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes without the lid.
Step 4: Give it a stir and then cover the pan with the lid. Allow to simmer with the lid on for a further 15 minutes, stirring again after 7 minutes.
Step 5: Add 0.5 tsp dried coriander and 0.5 – 0.75 tsp salt (according to your taste) and stir through again.
How To Serve Easy Chicken and Lentil Curry
- Serve with basmati rice, and your choice of steamed vegetables.
- For a more indulgent meal add a drizzle of plain yoghurt, and also serve with my paratha roti or easy garlic naan.
Tips for Making Easy Chicken and Lentil Curry
- Take a bit of time to fry the onions until they are soft and translucent as this releases a nice savoury, but less pungent, flavour of the onion which makes the perfect base for this dish.
Easy Chicken and Lentil Curry Recipe
4 – 6
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 tbsp mild curry powder
- 0.5 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets
- 100 g red lentils
- 400 g peeled chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml water
- 0.5 tsp dried coriander
- salt to taste (around 0.5 – 0.75 tsp)
- In a large pan heat the oil on a medium-low heat. Fry the onions for 5 – 7 minutes until soft and translucent. A large wok with a lid is ideal for this.
- Add the garlic and spices (curry powder, garam masala, ground ginger and fenugreek) and cook for an additional 2 minutes stirring throughout.
- Add in the chicken, lentils, tomatoes and water and stir well. Turn up the heat a little to bring it all to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes without the lid.
- Give it a stir and then cover the pan with the lid. Allow to simmer with the lid on for a further 15 minutes, stirring again after 7 minutes.
- Add the coriander and salt and stir through again.
- Garnish with some additional dried coriander and a drizzle of plain yoghurt.