Coleslaw – love it or hate it? I’m a huge coleslaw fan – however the calorie content in the mayonnaise is such a spoiler that I tended not to make it very often. I have however found a way yo make a tasty version that substitutes oatgurt for mayonnaise. Oatgurt is a yogurt alternative made from fermented oats. It’s thick and creamy and has a little sharpness to the taste like yoghurt, but contains considerably less fat.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
In this healthier version of coleslaw, crunchy shredded red cabbage, sweet grated carrots and full flavoured spring onions are mixed together with a creamy and slightly spicy dressing. This is such a quick, easy and colourful side-dish to make. It goes perfectly with grilled or air fried meats, fried chicken, roast ham, sandwiches or baked potatoes.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
(see below for full list of ingredients)
- Red Cabbage: Gives the coleslaw a nice crunch.
- Carrot: Adds sweetness.
- Spring Onion: Adds a full-on savoury flavour.
- Oatgurt: This is the basis of the coleslaw dressing. It adds creaminess.
How To Make Healthier Coleslaw
Step One: In a large mixing bowl, use a wooden spoon to mix together 1/8 red cabbage shredded, 1 carrot grated, 2 spring onions finely chopped, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp red wine vinegar, 0.5 tsp honey, 60 g oatgurt, salt to taste and 0.5 – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes.
How To Serve Healthier Coleslaw
- Serve as a side dish for grilled meats, roast ham or fried chicken.
- Use as an additional filling in ham or pulled pork sandwiches.
- Serve as a topping on baked potatoes.
Tips for Making Healthier Coleslaw
- You can substitute green cabbage for red cabbage. I love the colour that the red cabbage brings to my plate though.
- You can use slices of fresh chilli instead of chilli flakes for a nicer zing and additional texture.
Healthier Coleslaw Recipe
- 1/8 red cabbage shredded
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 0.5 tsp honey
- 60 g oatgurt
- salt to taste
- 0.5 – 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled meats.
- Great as a topping on a baked potatoes.
- Use as a sandwich filler.