I absolutely love fried chicken, and when I got an air fryer, chicken was the first recipe I wanted to perfect with it. This recipe produces tasty seasoned chicken that is crispy on the outside but succulent in the inside. It’s so quick and easy to make, and no marinating is required to achieve nice flavoursome meat – the air fryer just seems to work its magic. Another great thing about this recipe is that it uses significantly less oil to achieve that crispiness compared to pan or deep frying.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
(see below for full list of ingredients)
- Chicken: You can use chicken thighs, drumsticks or a mix of both. I prefer to leave the skin on as the air fryer gets the skin perfectly crispy. However, if you want a healthier meal then you can remove the skin before seasoning the chicken, it will still be delicious.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: Gives the chicken a deep savoury flavour.
- Paprika: Adds a bit of sweetness and colour to the chicken.
- Mixed Dried Herbs: Adds a warm earthy aroma to the flavour.
How To Make The Best Air Fryer Chicken
Step One: Pre-heat your air fryer at 200 °C for 5 minutes. I use my Ninja AF100UK.
Step Two: In a ramekin, small bowl or cup combine 2 tsp garlic powder, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Mix well with a teaspoon.
Step Three: Add the chicken to a large mixing bowl. You may leave the skin on as it will crisp up during the cooking process. On the contrary, you can remove the skin if you want to be healthier. Add the spices to the chicken and ensure that all sides of the chicken pieces are seasoned.
Step Four: Add in 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and mix well.
Step Five: Place the crisper tray to the air fryer and place the seasoned chicken on top. Do not over crowd the chicken as this will hinder the chicken from becoming crispy. Cook the chicken in batches if required. Cook the chicken at 200 °C for 20 to 25 minutes turning after 10 minutes.
How To Serve The Best Air Fryer Chicken
- Serve with air fryer sweet potato fries, french fries or brown butter mash potatoes, and a side of healthier coleslaw.
- If you want to have a super healthy meal then serve with a garden salad.
Tips for Making The Best Air Fryer Chicken
- For crispness, make sure that the chicken is quite dry before adding the seasoning. You can pat the chicken portions down with kitchen paper if need be.
- The key to crispy chicken is to make sure that your chicken is spaced out on the air fryer crisper tray. This will allow the hot air to circulate around the chicken for crispier results.
The Best Air Fryer Chicken Recipe
20 – 25 minutes
- 1 kg chicken thighs or drumsticks (skin on or removed for healthier chicken)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 0.5 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Pre-heat air fryer at 200 °C for 5 minutes. I highly recommend the Ninja AF100UK air fryer.
- In a ramekin mix the garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, mixed dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken portions to a large bowl and pour the seasoning on top. Mix well.
- Add the oil to the chicken and mix well.
- Place the crisper tray in the air fryer pan and place the chicken on top. Do not over crowd the tray. Cook in batches if necessary. Cook the chicken at 200 C for 20-25 minutes turning after 10 minutes.