Spaghetti Bolognese is a family favourite in my household. The kids have fun slurping up the spaghetti, my other half loves it as the sauce is full of flavour and protein, and I enjoy making it as it’s quick and easy, perfect for a mid-week meal. A lot of recipes for Bolognese sauce include red wine, however I like to make mine a fancy by adding in some port. It uplifts the flavour of the meat and adds a little sweetness to the sauce that works so well with the tomatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Bolognese Sauce Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1.5 large white onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 750 g minced beef
- 3 low salt beef stock cubes crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 120 ml port
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.5 tsp mixed dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil)
- 3 tsp Worcester sauce
- 400 g tin peeled chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml water use to wash out the tomato tin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add in the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Turn up the heat and add in the mince. Cook for 10 minutes stirring regularly until the meat has browned.
- Add in the port and stir through for two minutes until the alcohol smell goes away.
- Lower the heat and add in the crushed stock cubes and the tomato puree and stir well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients apart from the salt and pepper and stir through.
- Cover the pan with the lid and simmer on low for 25 to 30 minutes, checking and stirring every 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with spaghetti and top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Use any left over sauce as a topping for baked potatoes (white or sweet) for lunch the next day.
- You can make this vegetarian by substituting the beef mince for Quorn mince and use vegetable