Happy New Year!
With December being the month for giving to others, I think January should be the month for being kind to yourself. After over indulging and over spending during the Christmas season this new month is the perfect time to reset, recharge and prepare yourself for the year ahead. Often there is pressure to hit the ground running in January – I used to set myself big resolutions for the New Year, sometimes they were over ambitious and I would crash and burn after a couple of weeks and feel disappointed. So now I take a more chilled out approach. Being in the dark depths of winter, and now in the middle of yet another lockdown (here in the UK), this was always set to be a tough month. So, I think January is the perfect time to unleash your inner hygge! Make sure you are comfortable and cozy, and do things that make you content. Take that bubble bath, read a novel, binge on a series (I would totally recommend Bridgerton by the way), eat well and nourish your body but allow yourself a little comfort food too. Just ease your mind and body into the new year. Then, when YOU’RE ready take your place in the world and slay 2021!
On the notion of comfort food, I have an amazing burger recipe to share. The patties are well seasoned and then double cooked to perfection – they are first browned on a grill pan and then steamed in the oven. The result is a super succulent burger with a tender texture and uber flavour. Trust me, this beats any restaurant burger, and is incredibly quick and easy to make for mid-week meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
The Ultimate Burger Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking/Baking Time: 32 minutes
For the burger patties:
- 1 slice of bread (crustless and cut into 1 cm squared chunks)
- 40 ml milk (I use oat milk but dairy milk is fine too)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 spring onions finely sliced and chopped
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 0.5 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 750 g beef steak mince (around 15% fat)
To put the burgers together:
- 4 brioche burger buns
- 4 yellow cheese slices
- shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato finely sliced
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 8 slices of crinkle cut pickled gherkin
- BBQ sauce, yellow mustard or additional ketchup
- 4 slices grilled smoked streaky bacon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C fan (200 °C conventional).
- Mix all the ingredients for the burger patties together except for the mince.
- Add the mince and use clean hands to mix thoroughly.
- Divide the seasoned meat into 4 pieces and shape into patties.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill pan on a medium heat. Cook the burgers two at a time for 6 minutes on each side. I use my Tefal Grill Pan.
- Place the burgers in a baking tin and cover with foil. Place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Assemble the burger. Around 5 minutes before the burgers are done place the buns in the bottom of the oven to warm up. Slice the bun in half and top with a cheese slice lettuce and tomato. Add a burger patty. Top with your sauce of choice, sliced onions, a couple of gherkin slices and bacon if using.
- Serve with oven fries or seasoned potato wedges.