Egg Drop Soup is a must when I eat out at a Chinese restaurant. That thick, clear soup normally with chicken and sweetcorn or seafood and ribbons of egg is my go to starter. It’s surprisingly easy to make.
Since I’ve learned to make it at home I’ve found that it’s perfect for cold and flu season. My version contains a mix of chicken, king prawns, shitake mushrooms, pak choi and ginger, so it’s packed full of protein and essential virus fighting nutrients.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Special Egg Drop Soup Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Marinating Time: 1 hour
Baking/Cooking Time: 25 minutes
For the fried garlic garnish:
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
For the soup:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cm piece garlic finely chopped
- 375 g chicken thigh fillets
- 1 piece star anise
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 80 g frozen Sweet corn
- 165 g prawns
- shitake mushrooms sliced
- pak choi sliced
- 1.5 tsp shioxing rice wine
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 4 spring onions finely sliced for garnish
- Fry the chopped garlic until golden. Pace in a metal sieve placed on a plate with kitchen roll to absorb the oil.
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger until soft. Add in the chicken and star anise.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the stock to the remaining onion and garlic. Simmer for 7-10 minutes with the lid on.
- Strain and add the stock back to pot.
- Bring it to a simmer. Add the sweetcorn, prawns, mushrooms, pak choi and chicken. Simmer until prawns are pink.
- Add the Shioxing wine and pepper.
- Make a cornflour slurry by adding water to the cornflour and mixing well. Add 4-6 tbsp of the soup and mix well before adding the slurry to the rest of the soup. Mix well as the soup thickens.
- Drizzle the egg into the soup to make egg ribbons.
- Serve in bowls topped with the fried garlic and spring onions.