Macaroni cheese is pure comfort on a plate. A few of my British friends were surprised when I told them that mac and cheese is also really popular in the Caribbean. It is often served as one of the side dishes at West Indian parties, and it is common to get a slice of macaroni cheese when you buy a Jamaican takeaway.
My mother-in-law was first to teach me how to make this dish, but I have adapted it over the years and this is now the most asked for dish by my toddler. The three main components of this dish are macaroni, cheese sauce and cheese topping. I boil the macaroni so that it is just a little softer than al dente. I make my cheese sauce using two types of cheese: parmesan and cheddar. I also add a little grated onion and ground black pepper to enhance the flavours even more.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking/Baking Time: 40 minutes
- 270 g macaroni
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion grated
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200 ml milk
- 60 g grated parmesan cheese
- 120 g grated cheddar
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- 60 g grated cheese
- Cook the macaroni. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Stir in the macaroni and cook for 15-16 minutes. Drain well.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 °C fan (200 °C conventional oven).
- Make the cheese sauce. Heat the butter in a pan. When it is melted and hot lower the heat to medium and add the flour. Mix well for two minutes.
- Add the milk a little at a time at first to thin out the paste and make it more liquid. Then add the remaining milk a quarter at a time stirring continuously.
- Add in the onion, parmesan and cheddar and mix well.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the macaroni.
- Pour into a medium sized baking tin.
- Top with the remaining cheddar and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheddar has melted and has started to golden.
- This can be made as a side dish.
- It can also be served as a vegetarian main dish with a side salad and garlic bread.