My guilty pleasure would have to be a mixed kebab with garlic sauce accompanied by a mountain of chips and melted cheese – yum. During Lockdown 2.0 here in the UK, it’s definitely something I’ve been missing as my favourite kebab shop doesn’t do deliveries. I have however been making Middle Eastern-style chicken shawarmas, which has definitely appeased my kebab cravings. In this dish succulent chicken thigh fillets are marinated overnight in an aromatic blend of spices. They can then be grilled or cooked in a pan, before being sliced up and served with salad, your choice of flat bread and a garlicy yoghurt sauce. This is such a quick and easy three step recipe, but is so flavoursome that I’m sure we still won’t be frequenting the kebab shop once this pandemic is over.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission on any purchases made via these links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Chicken Shawarma Recipe
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Marinating Time: 2 hours to overnight
Cooking Time: 16 minutes
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 1-2 cardamom pods slightly crushed
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tsp olive oil
- juice half lemon
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together ensuring that the chicken thighs are evenly coated with the marinade.
- Cook in the grill or on a grill pan/heavy bottomed frying pan on the hob using a medium high heat for 6-8 minutes each side until the fillets are nice and brown and the juices are clear. I use my Anolon Grill Pan for this, click here for more details.
- Slice the fillets, place the meat back in the pan on a high heat for 2 minutes whilst stirring. This will brown some of the edges of the chicken slices and will enhance the flavour.
- Serve with naan or roti (I know, this isn’t Middle Eastern but it works well with the shawarma), a mixed salad and yoghurt or garlic sauce.