This recipe came about after I had an excess of sour cream from baking cakes. I wanted to use the sour cream to make a savoury dish with chicken and after getting some inspiration online paprika chicken seemed like the ideal dish, and it was a hit with the family. Here’s my ad-hoc recipe.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Paprika Chicken with Sour Cream
Preparation Time: 1 – 24 hours
Cooking Time: 25 – 35 minutes
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillets cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp smokey paprika
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1.5 onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp smokey paprika (additional to the above)
- 236 ml chicken stock
- 236 ml sour cream
- Mix the chicken, garlic powder and the tablespoon of paprika and marinade for one hour (or overnight).
- Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a deep frying pan and on a high heat brown off the chicken pieces in batches for around 2 minutes per side. Set aside
- Add the remaining oil to the pan use a wooden spoon to scrape loose any brown bits from the bottom before adding in the onions. Sautee on a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic, the teaspoon of paprika and the chicken, and mix well before adding in the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle the sour cream on top.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
- For the chicken stock I use two chicken Oxo cubes dissolved in 236 ml of hot water.