This is a super simple recipe for Chinese style prawns in a sweet and tangy garlic sauce. It can be made in minutes – the prawns are first fried up in a light batter before being coated the garlic sauce. I normally make this with the intention of being main dish for dinner, but the prawns are so delicious that we keep dipping in for a taste and before we know it there’s not enough for a meal. So this may be better categorised as a starter.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
Subscribe to receive email updates:
Crispy Garlic Prawns Recipe
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 500 g raw peeled king prawns
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp room temperature water
- 2 tsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp sesame oil
for the sauce:
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 5 tsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 0.5 tsp finely ground black pepper
- Prepare the prawns by scoring along the outside of each prawn. This will cause the prawns to splay out when cooked and adds to the crispness.
- Mix the batter ingredients (cornflour, water, soy sauce, egg yolk and sesame oil) together and stir in the prawns.
- Shallow fry the prawns in vegetable oil on a high heat in a deep frying pan until they are pink. Do this in three to four batches. It should take the prawns around 4 minutes on each side to cook.
- Drain the prawns on a plate lined with two sheets of kitchen roll. Remove excess oil from the frying pan and wipe down.
- Mix the sauce ingredients (honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, black pepper) together and add to the frying pan on a medium heat for around 2 minutes. Pour in the prawns and stir them through the sauce for a further 2 minutes.
- Serve with steamed basmati or jasmine rice, or over noodles.
- If you’re a spice lover try adding a teaspoon of crushed dried chilli flakes to the sauce.
- Toasted sesame seeds also make a perfect garnish for this dish.