One of my favourite Indian dishes is tandoori chicken. In this dish tender chicken pieces are marinaded in yoghurt and flavoursome spices, and cooked to a slight char. This is a great dish to include if you are having a barbecue and want an alternative to the usual sweet barbecue marinades. However, with a little advanced preparation, this also makes an easy mid-week meal.
Easy Tandoori Chicken Recipe
- 1 kg skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets chopped into bite size pieces
- 300 g natural yoghurt
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 tsp cumin
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tsp garam masala
- 4 tsp ground fenugreek
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave in the fridge for a minimum of two hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C fan (or 220 °C conventional). Prepare two baking trays by adding a rack to each one.
- Skewer the chicken – distribute the chicken pieces over 12 metal skewers.
- Spread the skewers evenly over the racks on the baking trays. Cook for 25 minutes turning after 15 minutes. Alternatively, the skewers can be cooked on a barbecue.
- Serve with rice or naan (try my easy garlic naan recipe).